Sunday 18 June 2017

Overnight Oats


To be honest I never liked overnight oats. I always thought they were too watery and mushy. I made them about a year ago and I swore I'd never make them again! But oh how times have changed and now I love them! I have a good recipe to share with you that'll get you the best consistency and flavour, I hope!


Whenever I think of overnight oats, I think of summer. They're basically cold porridge. In my mind I always think:
Porridge = Winter
Overnight oats = Summer
It's just such a light and refreshing way to start your day during the warmer months. Or you can have some overnight oats for lunch or dinner if you'd prefer!


I've tested so many different recipes to find the best texture and consistency and I do think that this is the one. When you eat it it's a teeny tiny bit mushy at first but you get used to it and all of the toppings make you forget about it!
If you have time in the morning then defo put your overnight oats in a jar and make them look all fancy but if you don't then throw them in a lunchbox, throw on some toppings, and they'll be just as nice!!!
Enough blabbing on, here's the recipe...

Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

  • 100g oats
  • 330ml rice milk
  • 2 tablespoons milled chia seeds or flax seeds
  • Drizzle of maple syrup
  • Drizzle of vanilla

Method:

  1. Mix everything together in a bowl.
  2. Store in a container/jar overnight (or for at least 2 - 3 hours).
  3. Top with whatever ya fancy.
  4. Drizzle with an extra bit of maple syrup before eating.

Variation:

Add a tablespoon of cacao powder and a tiny bit of cinnamon to make chocolate overnight oats, like in the picture of the chocolate peanut butter overnight oats pictured below.

Topping Ideas:

  • Frozen berries - Any type of frozen fruit is perfect because the fruit will defrost overnight in the fridge so it'll be ready to be eaten by breakfast time!
  • Frozen mango
  • Coconut
  • Pumpkin seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
  • Banana
  • Peanut butter

Benefits Of Ingredients Used:

  • Oats - Have a read of the end of my blog post all about porridge to be amazed by the power of oats!!!
  • Rice milk - Calcium and Vitamin D - Calcium is required to support the structure and function of our bones and teeth as well being needed for muscle function, nerve transmission, and hormonal secretion. Vitamin D helps with the absorption of calcium.
  • Chia/Flax seeds - Protein, fibre, omega 3 - Chia seeds and flax seeds are a source of omega 3 fatty acids which help with brain function. Omega 3's also help lower triglyceride levels which reduces your risk of heart disease. They can also help reduce rheumatoid arthritis, depression, and asthma.
Tropical overnight oats - Plain oats topped with frozen mango (defrosted in the oats in the fridge overnight!), coconut, and pumpkin seeds
Chocolate peanut butter overnight oats - Plain oats on top of chocolate oats, topped with banana and peanut butter
Berry overnight oats - Plain oats topped with frozen mixed berries

The reality of shooting an overnight oats blog post! It's not all different flavour oats and fancy toppings ya know!!!
Hope you like the recipe and if you give it a go don't forget to let me know! Tell me via email (plantpoweredhuman@gmail.com) or tell me on my Insta!
Chill and groovy overnight oat vibes,
Darragh
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Plant Powered Human | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig